Re: Sendmail on RH8

Am Mon, 2003-01-06 um 08.41 schrieb Jason Dale:
> Question #1
>
> ....  However , I need to find a way to 'test' the new mail
> server , without changing the MX record's IP address on our
> ISP's DNS servers. Is there a command I can use in Linux
> to send a mail message from one Linux server to a specific
> account on another Linux server , referenced by IP address
> rather than by DNS lookup ? bear in mind that both of these
> Linux servers are on the same LAN

First you should test the configuration of your new server by sendmails
test command (with root privileges):

  sendmail -bv [user]@mydomain
  sendmail -bv [user]@outsidedomain

you can test wether sendmail properly recognizes the addresses as local
or not an chooses the proper routing. (Perhaps you did it already)

On another Linux box (or Win, Mac, OS/2) you can add a line to
/etc/hosts

Example:

mailer.mydomain   10.1.1.100    # your production box and dns name
mailer.mydomain   10.1.1.110    # your text box without dns entry!
client.mydomain   10.1.1.120    # your test client

you can add the following line to /etc/hosts on your client linux box:

    10.1.1.110		mailer.mydomain

And your mail client will use your test mailer as smtp host. Uncomment
the line and you can use your production box again. No reboot necessary,
just restart your mail client after changing /etc/hosts (only needed for
some clients, like Netscape). /etc/hosts is asked before a dns lookup
and its entry is used if found, otherwise a dns lookup is initiated.

You can do the same "trick" on any client outside your network (e.g.
using your PC at home)

> Question #2
>
> Sendmail queues all of it's incoming mail for an account into
> one large account file in /var/spool/mail. Is there a way I can break
> these large files down into smaller message sized chunks so that
> they can be delivered to their recipients' computers
> individually ? ( naturally , the user must be logged on and must
> be requesting mail from the server )

Mail clients using the pop protocol and pop deamons break the file and
handle it on a mail by mail basis (you can interrupt the download at any
time and the deamon handles it correctly). Same is true for local mail
clients like mail or pine. Storing all the small mails in one larger
file uses the resources more efficiently and is preferred over storing a
lot of small files.

Peter

--
Peter Boy <pboy@barkhof.uni-bremen.de>