Re: Limit user to use only home folder

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 07:38:40AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Monday 06 January 2003 07:26, Remus uttered:
> > As I told I need a few accounts for sftp connection and I would like to
> > prevent these users to see/use root folder.
>
> Hrm, I see this request a lot, but I don't exactly understand why..  if the
> box is properly configured, what would it matter if they see the root
> partition, or any other globally readable file.  Perhaps I'm just too good
> natured, or don't know how to |-|4x0r enough or whatever.

You must be too good natured.  A properly implemented access control
mechanism gives out information only on a need-to-know basis.  The
default should always be deny first.

The default in Linux (and most Unix implementations) allows all users to
view the passwd file.  This is bad - there is no reason why one of my
customers should be able to determine my user names.  With wu-ftpd, they
don't know.  With sftp, they can simply grab the passwd file and will
have a head start in cracking my system.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org