Re: Reiserfs and Redhat 8.0 :)

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 05:23, Keith Winston wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 20:29, David Durst wrote:
> > Just as a crazy question why has RH not added install support for
> > the differnt Journalling file systems??
>
> You could make a minor conspiracy out of it.  It is true that ext3 was
> developed primarily by Red Hat, while Hans Reiser received a lot of
> support from SuSE and reiserfs the default file system in SuSE.

Or it could have to do with the fact that last I heard, Red Hat was
still seeing data corruption under load in their tests.  I recall a
number of Mandrake users reporting data corruption in real life use.

> Then, look at the redhat-config-packages program.  Why is postgresql
> installed by default and mysql optional under databases?  Does it have
> anything to do with postgresql being the base upon which the Red Hat
> Database product is built?

Almost certainly, yes.  Why would they choose different SQL servers for
their database product, and the default database server on their general
distribution?  Who would that serve?  Red Hat defaults to the server
that they feel is most stable and complete, and that's PostgreSQL.