Re: Why no "Kill App"??

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 10:42:46PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 03:38:12PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> >  And there is no obvious/easy way provided to
> > continue to use GNOME without using Metacity.
>
> It's a simple two commands typed into a terminal, or a trivial text
> edit of ~/.gnome2/session.

This may well be so, but in my experience average users, even
experienced ones, aren't likely to know this.  One would expect that
GNOME developers certainly would...

Though I'd like to know what the two commands are -- my own experience
is that it's not that simple.  Ordinarily I'd expect that killing the
existing window manager and starting a new one would do it (and then
of course, you'd still have to save your gnome session to make the
change permanent).  However, when I tried doing this with
Gnome2/Metacity, it brought my whole session down.  Tried it more than
once.  Same result every time...  I came across a description of how
someone got around the problem, and it was much more convoluted than
that (though I don't remember the details)...

And mucking around with config files for GNOME apps is something I no
longer have the patience for, given that they're often not documented
well (or at all), both as to their format, and also as to what they
are and/or where they actually live.  More importantly, while /I/
could probably figure out the config file format if I bothered to
look, less experienced users might not, and probably won't even know
there's one there to look at.  And many who find out won't want to
touch it for fear of breaking something.

GUIs for configuring such things have become poplular because people
want them -- precisely because they largely don't require reading
loads of documentation and don't take a lot of investment on the part
of the user to figure them out.  Years ago I used to spend lots of
time on that sort of thing; but lately I've taken a more pragmatic
approach to computing.  Like most users, I mostly just want the thing
to work, so I can get my work done.  The computer is designed to do
lots of boring, repetative stuff... It should take as much as possible
of the tedium and learning curve of the details out of the user's
experience.  Of course, I also want to be able to work the way I'm
used to, and not have to retrain myself...

Havoc, while I'm curious about the window manager thing, I don't
really think it would be productive to continue to debate over the
usability and/or flexibility of gnome2 (especially Metacity) here.
You may feel that Sawfish is crufty, broken, hard to maintain, or
whatever else...  I won't dispute any such claims, having not looked
at the code.  But I think that for the /users/, the approach that it
takes, offering different views for configuring things to different
levels of users, is the best one.  Simplicity is great, so long as
people are still able to work the way they work, rather than having
the software dictate to them how they should work.  Certainly, you
need to draw the line somewhere, but personally I think GNOME2 (at
least, as shipped by RH) is drawing it a bit too low.  I've stated my
opinion to provide Red Hat with my feedback.  I know your opinion, and
you've heard mine repeatedly from myself and others, so I doubt we're
going to change eachother's minds.  Let's leave it at that.

- --
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/
GPG Key ID: 0xDFBEAD02