Re: Psyche-list digest, Vol 1 #739 - 13 msgs

well,
There was some useful information in that post, for sure.
I DID create desktop link to xkill and have now found it to be very useful.

I think I may be one of those who falls between newbie and advanced user.  I've been using Linux for about 9 months and can now accomplish most tasks.
(still have major issues with burning cd's) I think PowerUser may be a bit beyond me, yet, even though I have managed to toss all my Microslop in the john and flush it (yeah!).
I tend to use gui tools for a lot of stuff, even stuff that I know how to do from the terminal, simply because the terminal is often a tedious way of doing things, but I confess, there are things I will do from the terminal because it is also, sometimes, more efficient (run-on sentence).  I enjoy learning how to use the terminal; I feel a great sense of triumph when I accomplish new feats of terminal prowess!  Alas, it is a slow process for me.  Being a teacher, grad student and single parent, I don't have much time for reading manuals.  I mostly learn from trial and error, and asking stupid questions on the lists.  Besides, as I mentioned previously, the man pages often use obscure terminology and assume knowledge that I simply do not have, and are, therefore, often useless to me.
I'm now using gnu-darwin stuff on my iBook, too, and the man pages there are worse, if I can find them at all.
If I ever truly get a handle on this stuff (I will, eventually), I am going to write manuals for newbies that don't assume they have twelve years of unix system administration experience and a CS degree.
Of course, as many of you have already surmised, most people don't want to read manuals anyway.  They just want to be able to click on stuff and have the OS hold their hand and do everything for them, which is why they pay the M$ taxes.
For those folks there is Xandros, perhaps.
I, personally, want to know how to use a computer, not simply use someone else's software tools, but, I am the exception to the rule.
These lists have been most helpful.

tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Read, Connect, Learn!