Re: RH8.0 as a internet router

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 20:18, David Sudjiman wrote:
> I use linux as a firewall and as a router.
>
> But, If I may recall my three-months ago, I did not suceed with my
> ip_forward to just create the ip forwarding.
>
> All i wanted to do is to make a connection between 192.168.1.0 and
> 192.168.2.0. I have to use NAT for this.
>
> Did I do the right thing? Because all I know is I should not using NAT if
> I only wanted for routing packets
>

> On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Chris Bice wrote:
> > first : echo "1" /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward "enables ip forwarding"
> >
> > second : iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE "enables nat"

-----
You need a set of iptables rules as a firewall and at least the rule
listed above to "NAT" which is the network address translation for the
computers behind the firewall to operate. Yes, you must enable
ip_forwarding but that by itself isn't enough.

I would heavily recommend that you investigate David Ranch's linux
masquerade howto...
<http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/ipmasq/c-html/index.html>

While it may take a few minutes longer, you will learn something and
secure your machine and your network in the process.

Craig