Re: Restoring amanda backups without amanda

On 00:58 13 Dec 2002, Mark C <redhat-lists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
| After some experimenting, I have manged to restore the backups using:
|
| /usr/sbin/amrestore -p /dev/nst0 | tar -x
|
| I always figure than amrestore only worked if you had valid
| configuration files and logs still.
|
| Guess I was wrong :)

There's a neato guide to restoring _totally_ without amanda somewhere,
which I keep around. I had to recover a client that way a few months ago.

The key issue is to remember that an amanda backup file is the dump format
preceeded by a 32k block. So you go:

	... use mt to get to the file ...
	dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k skip=1 | ufsrestore if -

(or tar if you're dumping with tar, etc). The core idea is to use dd's skip
command to skip the header block and get the rest.

Of course you've still got to locate the right dump files and stuff,
but that's the core of the tape format.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

The US military literally tied one hand behind their back in their attempt to
NOT hit civilian targets.	- kmr4@po.CWRU.edu (Keith M. Ryan)