Restoring amanda backups without amanda

Hi,

I had a hard drive crash on my tape server (which was also an nfs server
for some media files).

I have had a backup of my amanda configs on floppy, so I reinstalled
amanda and the configs and I can backup again.

But the problem I have is that I lost the media (nfs exports) that I was
exporting, but the good thing is they are on backup of a tape from a
week ago (they don't change a lot, so I only do a weekly backup of them)

The problem I have is not having the original log files, I don't know
how to restore or even extract the files from the tape that amanda wrote
to.

I have tried subscribing to the amanda list, but so far its taken 4 hr
and I haven't had a reply from my confirmation email.

I have looked on the net and also read through my Unix backup book and
found a few explanations, but they seem to cover dump.
As I gzipped all the files rather than using dump (in mt amanda config),
I'm not sure how to restore the files from the tape.

FWI: the tape is a DDS 3

The only thing I found is below, but as that uses restore, AFAIK, that
will only restore files that were put on the tape using the dump
utility, also If I can use the config below, I cannot workout how to
calculate the 'file#' section, as in what value do I put there and how
to work it out?.

cd /correct_dir_path
mt fsf 'file#'
dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k skip=1 | gzcat | restore -ivf -

Any advise or help would be a god send.
Hopefully I've made some sense :)

Cheers

Mark

--
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;
to steal from many is research.