Re: kernel/keyboard - problem

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Vik Heyndrickx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a most anoying little problem.
>
> Everytime, I press the right Alt key (aka Alt Gr) on my "AZERTY" keyboard
> (be-latin1) in text mode (no X), I get a "0" printed on my screen. That
> right alt key is used for entry of characters like |, [, { etc. with my
> keyboard layout (which is common where I live). Each time I get 0|, 0[, 0{.
> I have got this problem with all RH built Athlon kernels (the one with the
> psyche release, and the updated ones). I do not know if the problem is
> Athlon related (probably not). However, when I install the kernel-source
> package, and rebuild it without making any configuration change, the
> resulting kernel does NOT have this problem. Neither is the problem present
> in X.
> The problem is not hardware specific, since I have got this problem on an
> Asus A7V133 (with Via KT133A chipset at 100 Mhz FSB), a ECS K7S5A-L with
> SIS630 chipset at 133MHz and an older QDI with Intel 430VX chipset).
> I notice that the problem disappears as well when I use the us or uk key
> mapping. But that is no solution, because a "A" becomes a "Q", qnd thqt is q
> little difficult ;-)
>
> Is there a solution for this (apart from rebuilding the kernel)?
>
> --
Hi Vik,

     Sorry for the delay in replying.  The problem is caused by Speakup
http://linux-speakup.org/.  I have a patch for the current Rawhide kernel.
I'm about to test it.  If it works, and I expect it will, I'll attach it
to bug 71136.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  A work-around for the problem
might be to turn off num-lock.
 -- Bill in Denver