Where to set screen dpi?

I am running a 19" monitor at a resolution of 1280x1024, and when I look at the Xserver information in KDE control panel, it states that I have a resolution of 90 x 96 dpi. I think this is causing a problem when I try to insert a photo which is 4 x 6 inches into a frame in OpenOffice Writer; it is not quite long enough to fill the vertical frame, even though the ratio of the number of x pixels to y pixels is 4:6. I seem to remember that there is a place one can set this resolution, i.e., I would like to set it to 90 x 90 or 96 x 96 to see if that is related to my problem. Does anyone know where that can be set?

Thanks.
--
gerry
_____