Re: best combo for adding external keyboard/mouse to laptop?

** Reply to message from "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> on Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:30:09 -0500 (EST)

> On 18 Dec 2002, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> > I like USB for its hot plugability.  Also some USB keyboards (eg mine)
> > come with a USB port for your mouse which would leave one free
>
> i got a PS/2 keyboard (worked great immediately upon connection),
> but the logitech USB optical mouse doesn't work yet.  "usbview"
> sees it, but only the touchpad on the laptop still works.
>
> time for some googling, unless someone has a quick suggestion.

I have the Logitech optical, rob. Got it working by adding:

/sbin/modprobe usb-uhci

to rc.local. My /etc/modules.conf has the following:

alias usb-controller uhci

(if you are running 2.4.20 mainline, the module name has changed to just uhci)

Seems kudzu won't pick up my usb1 hub so I force the issue. Works fine. I also have a separate add-in USB2 card for my scanner and that works great also.

jb