Re: Errata Support Period

"M. Yu" wrote:

> Just went to www.redhat.com/errata/ to check for updates for my RH8
> box and saw this announcement that RH would be providing "errata
> maintenance for at least 12 months from the date of initial release".
>  It also puts up the End of Life dates for errata maintenance for
> several products.  What exactly does this mean?

It means that after that date no more security fixes will be publishes
by Red Hat - it literally is unsupported. I don't think you can buy
support for these versions.

> Believe it or not I still run RH6.2 in some of our production boxes
> and will probably continue to do so after the March 31, 2003 EoL
> date.  What can I look forward to beyond 03/31/03?

Upgrade to 7.3. Or be very careful and compile from source. But that
will eventually become more and more complicated, because your system
has too much old stuff and thus doesn't meet requirements of the new
versions.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/