Re: post-installation suggestions for RH 8.0

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 11:11, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   as the final page in a chapter i'm writing on RH 8.0 installation,
> i want to suggest any post-installation stuff that should be done.
>
>   example: editing /etc/sysconfig/i18n and setting
>
>   LANG="en_US"
>
> can anyone suggest other little fixes that should be done?  that is,
> fixes that are doable by someone who may be relatively new to linux.

Here are a few:

1.  Run up2date and apply all relevant patches.

2.  If you have an IDE CD-ROM or DVD and DMA is not working, add this
line to the /etc/modules.conf file:

options ide-cd dma=1

3.  Turn off authentication in /etc/ntp.conf or time sync will not work
(at least it did not work for me).  I know at least one other person
that had this problem, but not sure if it is universal.

4.  Download and install java, I use Sun 1.4.1 JRE.

5.  Download and install the goodies you want from psyche.freshrpms.net.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+