Re: post-installation suggestions for RH 8.0

On 13 Dec 2002, Keith Winston wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 11:11, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   as the final page in a chapter i'm writing on RH 8.0 installation,
> > i want to suggest any post-installation stuff that should be done.
> >
> >   example: editing /etc/sysconfig/i18n and setting
> >
> >   LANG="en_US"
> >
> > can anyone suggest other little fixes that should be done?  that is,
> > fixes that are doable by someone who may be relatively new to linux.
>
> Here are a few:
>
> 1.  Run up2date and apply all relevant patches.
>
> 2.  If you have an IDE CD-ROM or DVD and DMA is not working, add this
> line to the /etc/modules.conf file:
>
> options ide-cd dma=1
>
> 3.  Turn off authentication in /etc/ntp.conf or time sync will not work
> (at least it did not work for me).  I know at least one other person
> that had this problem, but not sure if it is universal.
>
> 4.  Download and install java, I use Sun 1.4.1 JRE.
>
> 5.  Download and install the goodies you want from psyche.freshrpms.net.

all good ideas, but most of these will end up a bit later in the
documentation.  this is for the install chapter for my linux
migration web page, and what i wanted was quick fixes that new
linux admins could apply to rh 8.0 without having a lot of linux
background and fixes that would *immediately* affect normal
operation of the system.

as the chapters progress, i'll cover stuff like DMA, installing
software and so on.

but i've already added these to the list of stuff to put
*somewhere*, thanks.

rday