Re: again I ask: WHY does printing in RH Psyche have to be such aPITA??

Sounds like you have not properly configured your machine to use cups.
>psyche does not use cups by default.  If you check back on this thread
"RE:

    I guess I was a bit peeved when I wrote the original message... I
had forgotten
to switch the print system from LPR to CUPS. At least I can now print in
black
and white.

>Elton Woo wrote:
>
>I've finally found that my printer will not print in colour, because
the

>colour mechanism is defective. At least, it can or should print in
>monochrome. LEXMARK Z53, (paral
 8><-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have had my share of printers when i used to dual-boot, and after I
cut the umbilical cord. I have been burned at least once by all the
major manufacturers at least once. That being said, my favorite printer
was an HP712C under WIN98. But after the purchase i found it couldn't do
linux (nor dos for my comp-sci hmwk!) i wasn't happy, and swore i
wouldn't use them again. they have turned around though, and i bought a
cheap HPdj960C, let RH8 install hpij drivers automagically, and love it.
used it under MDK 8.2 & 9.0 too and worked beautiful, giving wonderful
photo prints. Now i realize this does not answer your question, but if
you decide you wanted to replace your lexmark, i thought i might offer
some advice from my trying to print out of linux for YEARS. :-(

HP came through in my opinion, and that is enough to get me to send
money and praises their way.

YMMV

dw

        I don't understand how Lexmark calculates the warranty period.
IMHO,
one would think that it is counted from the _date of purchase_. But
NOOOO!
Instead, I checked via the web, and the guarantee period does NOT match
from the date when I purchased it. In addition, since it was the last
one
in the store (the display model), Radio Shack refused to gave me a cut
on
the price claiming that Lexmark controls the prices, so I shelled out
CAD
$199 (plus Fed. and Provincial sales taxes).