Re: Macromedia Flash plugin 6 released for x86 Linux

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 08:01:50PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
> >Flash 6 is an open, documented file format:
> >http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/open/licensing/fileformat/faq.html
> >
> >Macromedia even suggests on the above page that you search
> >sourceforge.net for "swf" for code that deals with the file format.
>
> The format is "open" only if you sign an NDA to receive the
> specifications.  If you read that page, you will see that they allow you
> to only make apps that output SWF files, not play SWF.

There seems to be some ambiguity in the license.  While they
specifically allow you to generate SWF files, I don't see any
prohibition against writing software that can interpret SWF files
listed in the "Restrictions" section of the agreement.

I don't know whether these types of licences default to an assumption
that anything not forbidden is allowed, or to Mr. Togami's assumption
that anything not allowed is forbidden.