Re: RH71 upgrade to RH80 - GRUB/LILO Problems

Around about 11/12/2002 20:01, Ben Brown typed ...
I have upgraded three machines from RedHat 7.1 to 8.0 in the last week, and in all three cases, LILO persists, even though I instruct the installer to upgrade the bootloader. Normally, I would just post that to bugzilla or whatever, but even when I manually install GRUB, it doesn't work.
I had exactly the same thing, and had to spend ages reading around grub to figure out how to get it going myself (*my* lilo now freezes on MBR boot, so I had no choice). Dunno about grub-install - missed that one.

- read 'info grub' for a bit. Yes, there's too much there to take in!

I did (mostly forget, I'm afraid) something like, after setting up (using installed/configured) grub.conf:

grub # entre grub shell
root (hd0,7) # drive with grub.conf; see info help about 'find'
^^^^^ don't rememeber the grub syntax OTTOMH either!
setup (hd0)
quit

[note that if you have a /boot partition, you'll need 'find /grub/grub.conf' not 'find /boot/grub/grub.conf' in grub]

This, IIUC, says that the vmlinuz & grub.conf are on /dev/hda8 [that's my /boot part.] - 'root' command
Then the 'setup' writes grub to the /dev/hda MBR (can give a partition if you want, and note that grub counts *all* HDs, ISE & SCSI/ext from 0 as it finds them.

This caused me much grief, as I boot off my ABit mobo from 'ext' (IDE66) not IDE0. When booting CDROM (off RH CDs to fix this), /dev/hda [my swap] was grub's (hd0), my 'boot' drive, /dev/hde, was grub's (hd1).

But, with my mobo set to boot from ext., it reorders so that /dev/hde => (hd0) and /dev/hda => (hd1). This meant that my grub.conf must ref. the drives as they *will be at boot time*, but the grub command as issued after CD boot must ref. them as they *are*.

Took me a while and a series of grub 'find' commands to suss that one out.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature