Re: modem lights confusion.

Aaron Konstam wrote:
I simply do not understand the working of modem lights.
I tried RTFM but can't really find one.
Search the archives of this list. There are a couple of good threads that cover all the fixes you need, including a bug report I referenced that covered all of this.

1. I put my self in the dip group. Is that necessary?
Not in my case.

2, I added the modem lights applet to my panel.
3. I had previously set up ifup and ifdown functionality.
Yup, /sbin/ifup /sbin/ifdown are good.

4. I see that these commands are executed by modem lights.
5. I click on the space next to the icon and it asks if I want to
connect. I say "yes" and it connects.
> 6. That is as far as I can get it to operate.

You need to change the device file from /dev/modem to the actual device file (i.e. /dev/ttyXX)

That should get it to work.

Tom