RE: X freezes

Hello again...

My computer also freezed right now... it was during the "screensaver"
session...  I am using a Pentium3 and psyche (of course) the kernel
is 2.4.18-18.8.0 ... not sure it is the X or the Gnome.. but it is not the
first time I see it.. I saw before in another machine using the previous
kernel... I cannot use the mouse or get out of the screen saver... however
I can connect to that computer from a different one...

I can re-start, yes, but there are other ways to fix/know the problem ?

I take the chance to post some "newbie" questions: how I deactivate
the X at startup, then I can load just when I want ? I would like to have
MySQL and vsFTP running at startup, which file/configuration I should
modify ?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers, Alberto