Re: is it possible to make my camera on usb (dev/sda1) to automountwhen i plug it in?

Around about 04/12/2002 19:03, Kent Nyberg typed ...
Is it possible to make it so that when i plug in my camera in the
usb-slot then it automounts?
Now i have to mount it (mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera) by hand. It would
be better if it automounts just like the cdroms does in gnome.
Well, I'd not thought of using automounter - you can try that if you want. I have a Fuji FinePix 6900 and this is roughly what I did/do:

[most of this is a job to root]

- tail -f /var/log/messages
... then plug in the camera; make a note of the USB ID (2 hex no.s)
- make sure you've the hotplug RPM installed
- go to /etc/hotplug and look for usb.usermap; edit it
- copy the top line and put in the 2 nos. you made a note of as three nos. in the first few fields (the one large no. has to be split into big end/little end). You'll see what I mean when you look at the file.
- change the 'usbcam' name to 'fujicam' or something.
- go into the usb (?) dir., and copy usbcam to fujicam.
- in the appropriate place at the end of the script, add 'mount /mnt/camera'
- add an entry to /etc/fstab for /dev/sda1 to /mnt/camera for read-only auto or vfat.

If I've described that right, you'll get what I get: plug in the camera, and it gets mounted, & an icon appears on the desktop.

I'll try to get a copy of my fujicam script, as there's a bit I can't remember the details for: you can set up a 'remove' script that does a umount when you unplug the thing. Works a treat.

Now I've a followup question: I bought a USB card reader for mine. If I plug *that* in, the sda1 mount is never returned (the camera works multiple times - I can plug it in & unplug it at whim & it mounts/umounts correctly).

The first time I plug in the reader, I get /dev/sda1 mountable; unplug it and do it again but this time it's /dev/sda2 (& the mount fails). Everytime I do it till reboot adds another no. (and appropriate usb/scsi entry under /proc).

Any ideas? Although I must remember to try this under RH8 in case it now works (last tried on RH7.3 before upgrade).

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature