Re: What to use for dialup now rp3's gone?

Around about 04/12/2002 17:27, Oisin C. Feeley typed ...
I saw this behaviour when I did not have the "LOCK" set properly in the
preferences configuration as Pavel suggested in his first email.  Are
you sure that you have the correct "/var/lock/LCK...ttySX" set and that
the "verify owner" is checked?
THat's the fix; I found this last night after browsing the modemlights source (!) - something I really shouldn't have to do to get something working (it was using the modem lock but wanted ttyS0 - I'd expected modem to work as I have a /dev/modem, but it's only a symlink).

Seems OK now.

?! The third tab being the "Advanced" one of "modemlights"? That's the lock one. There shouldn't be anything there except the absolute path to the lock file.
It has a device ref. - from the source, it's the one used by the ioctl that gets PPP stats. Im my case, the ifup/down ppp3 [the right ISP] with a device of ppp0 [the actual i/f] works now.

Does seem a shame that RH deliver a nice Internet connection wizard for newbies [not that I am, but you know what I mean], then leave them with no obvious way to dial up.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature