konqueror and kde crash horribly (i.e. won't start)

I have a fresh install of RH8, if I try and start konqueror within an
ordinary gnome session then I get several of the KDE application crash
boxes up but no konq.

The machine is a P3 1GHz with 1GB of memory. Adaptec 2940u2w SCSI card
and a pair of 10K RPM disks (18 and 36GB).

The installation media was checked first and passed the md5sum checks, I
have run memtest86 overnight on the machine with no problems.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

I tried a complete re-install last night and the machine still suffers
from exactly the same problem.

I have a second machine (800Mhz P3 with 256MB of RAM and ordinary IDE
drives) which is also running RH8, but with no issues. The installation
isn't identical but they are similar enough to suggest something's up.

--

Cheers,
       Dave