Re: What to use for dialup now rp3's gone?

Around about 03/12/2002 18:16, Pavel Rozenboim typed ...
You can use modemlights to control the connection. In preferences change
ifup/ifdown commands to /sbin/ifup and /sbin/ifdown, and in advanced tab,
change modem lock file to match serial port you are using.
I do, in fact, have modemlights running, but I can't seem to get it to work properly; if I try it under deliberate error conditions (e.g, modem switched off), it's unrecoverable - it doesn't seem to check status as rp3 did.

Thius may be a config. issue on my part - it certainly runs ppp-watch. I tried it this morning for the first time (completed last Net-oriented post-RH8-upgrade tweak) with the start/stop settings ifup/downing 'ppp3' which is my default ISP.

It *did* log in, but never seemed to realise this (ISTR rp3 having the same problem a while back - 'twas when run non-root IIRC - a network script bug, since fixed). The button remained 'do you wish to connect?' evcen when I wished to /disconnect/.

These two faults may be related - I wasn't sure what to put in the third tab. I have noticed that even doing 'ifup ppp3' (to choose ISP under ppp3), I actually get an I/F named "ppp0", so for that reason I left the I/F entry in modemlights "ppp0". After seeing it not notice I'd logged in, I changed it to ppp3, but there wqas no change (does it need to be restarted?).

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature