Re: How much has RH8 gnome been nobbled?

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 08:38, Neil Bird wrote:
> Around about 02/12/2002 16:33, Jesse Keating typed ...
> > Almost all of it.  Are you sure you're looking at sawfish, and not Metacity?
> > Metacity is the default window manager for Gnome2 now, and one of it's goals
> > was simplicity.
>
>    Ah, I'll check.  Guess there's no Bluecurve for sawfish?

Someone may have cobbled up a clone theme by now - check your favorite
theme site.

>    Actually, this'd explain why I couldn't run any sawfish command-line
> jobbies (comms. pipe not present) ...

Check the list archives for discussion of the current state of the
gnome2 version of sawfish.

>  >  The aim was not to overwhelm the user with tons and tons of
>  > config options, but rather just a few so that they could concentrate
> on work,
>  > instead of fine tweaking the GUI.
>
>    But .. but .. that's half the fun!
>

>    What about panel configs?  That a limitation of [current] Gnomne 2
> too?  Seems a shame to go backwards so far with the new Gnome (e.g., no
> cddb-aware cd player).  The later Gnome panels even had the cool ability
> to be 'transparent' over the backdrop - has that *really* all just been
> vanquished to Gnome 1?

I have no problem with CDDB lookups with Gnome CD Player. Go to Extras
-> Preferences -> CDDB to check your server settings. Right now, mine
says I'm listening to Tombstone Blues from Highway 61 Revisited.

Some other bits, like transparent panels, are still being worked on. I
believe I just saw something on gnomedesktop.org about code for true
transparent panels being tested.

--
Michael Knepher <limbo@bluethingy.com>