Re: How much has RH8 gnome been nobbled?

Around about 02/12/2002 16:33, Jesse Keating typed ...
Almost all of it. Are you sure you're looking at sawfish, and not Metacity? Metacity is the default window manager for Gnome2 now, and one of it's goals was simplicity.
Ah, I'll check. Guess there's no Bluecurve for sawfish?

Actually, this'd explain why I couldn't run any sawfish command-line jobbies (comms. pipe not present) ...

> The aim was not to overwhelm the user with tons and tons of
> config options, but rather just a few so that they could concentrate on work,
> instead of fine tweaking the GUI.

But .. but .. that's half the fun!

What about panel configs? That a limitation of [current] Gnomne 2 too? Seems a shame to go backwards so far with the new Gnome (e.g., no cddb-aware cd player). The later Gnome panels even had the cool ability to be 'transparent' over the backdrop - has that *really* all just been vanquished to Gnome 1?

It *is* faster, though - nautilus [sp?] is actually usable now!

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature