Re: Swaping mounts

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 08:17, Brian York wrote:
> I accidentialy put /opt with 200 GB and /var with 3 GB and that should
> be reversed. I am in the process of testing communigate pro for a new
> mail server. Is there a way to swap the two with out a reinstall. Or
> without losing info.
>

> Communigate software is installed on /opt and the mail accounts is on
> /var.

What I would try - run "init 1" to switch to runlevel 1 (single-user
mode) and make sure any services that use /var (httpd, mail servers,
etc.) are turned off.
Unmount /opt and /var. Edit /etc/fstab to point /opt and /var to the
correct partitions. Remount the filesystems and move your files to the
appropriate filesystem*. Use init to switch back to your preferred
runlevel (3 or 5).

*If you have enough space on another filesystem, I'd recommend as a
precaution that you create temp directories for /opt and /var and cp -a
everything to the temp directories before you unmount and edit
/etc/fstab.

--
Michael Knepher <limbo@bluethingy.com>