Re: Is your video card Built/Powered by ATI, and why should youcare...

Am Sam, 2002-11-30 um 14.47 schrieb Mike A. Harris:
> .....  My money would be going to ATI, and I'll bet many
> others who have followed this thread will be also.

I appreciate /*my be this vocabulary is not exactly appropriate*/ your
engagement for ATI and I share your reasons to do so.

But nevertheless:
> If ATI did not do
> this, and the 3rd party vendor had to use ATI's chips and call
> them something else like "Foobedoo Foodeon" they would not likely
                                                   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> sell many.  There is name recognition both in the ATI brand name,
  !!!!!!!!!
> and in the ATI Radeon product name.

You hit the point. Instead of putting the stress to its licensees (to
establish its own branding) ATI puts the stress to its customers (to
differentiate between different products with nearly the same name). And
opens the door for shop to abuse abbreviated advertisements.

And ATI supports the customer half-hearted in that task:
> That is precicely what the "Powered
> by ATI" logo is for.

ATI abuses our language in some way. It abuses the *positive*
connotation of "power" (to achive graphic capibilities ATI is known for)
to distract (and hide) the customers attention from the *negative* fact
"not made" (by ATI and therefore nobody knows its graphic capabilities).
Instead they could say "NOT build by ATI" and everyone would have a
clear clue.

And there are other examples. Nvidia delivered its chip to the German
company Elsa, but they had to establish their own branding (well, bad
example, Elsa went bankrupt some months ago)

> ... .  Now *THAT* is what *I* call damned dedicated
> customer support.  It wasn't even 48 hours.  Considering Linux is
> somewhat of a niche market, a hardware vendor response like that
> in such short notice is just amazing.  How many other vendors
> would respond to their customers like that in such incredibly

O.K. that is very impressive, indeed. And given all your information it
should be a good idea to exchange my Matrox G400 (Matrox Linux support
is not very impressive) by an (build by) ATI dual head adapter
(according to my knowledge there is one adapter with dual head support).
By the way: Does (as to your knowledge at hand) the ATI Linux driver
support a second desktop (currently KDE only, I know) as well as
Xinerama ?? And does the ATI driver do a better job as Matrox and makes
it easier for Metacity, KWM, ... to establish features like edge
resistence in Xinerama ??

Thanks for information
Peter Boy