Re: Is your video card Built/Powered by ATI, and why should you care...

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 08:47:27 -0500 (EST)
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@redhat.com> wrote:

> However, you'll notice that within one single day of this
> occuring, ATI responded very quickly and politely by updating
> their drivers on their website to also now support "Powered by
> ATI" support.  Now *THAT* is what *I* call damned dedicated
> customer support.  It wasn't even 48 hours.  Considering Linux is
> somewhat of a niche market, a hardware vendor response like that
> in such short notice is just amazing.  How many other vendors
> would respond to their customers like that in such incredibly
> short time, especially to support a product that they did not
> actually produce, but just licenced the technology so that
> someone else could produce a product?
>
> I don't know about others, but if I didn't have a mountain of
> video cards already, and I was in the market for one, I know
> exactly where my money would be going.  It'd be going to a
> company that supports Linux very well, both with open source
> support including major source code contributions, friendly
> engineers to help with problems, and access to technical
> specifications to XFree86 developers, as well as now supporting
> customers with an alternative - binary drivers, and with 2 day
> response times to customer concerns.
>
> Spend your money wherever you think you'll get the best support
> for Linux.  My money would be going to ATI, and I'll bet many
> others who have followed this thread will be also.
>
> Once again, hats off to ATI for their support of the Linux
> community.
>
> $0.02

You all know where I stand, but Mike, you just may have converted me to the
ATI side. I congratulate you for keeping your cool, and ATI for this quick
update.

--
/dTd
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. - Larry Wall