Question about adding a trusted user to sendmail.

I added the line

majordomo

to my /etc/mail/trusted-users file and remade my sendmail.cf
I ended up with majordomo not being added to the .cf file:

Ft/etc/mail/trusted-users
Troot
Tdaemon
Tuucp

So I tried to uncomment the line in the submit.mc file that said

FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl

and when I did, the resulting remake of the submit.cf file gave an error
message:

[root@saturn mail]# make
*** ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()

I have solved the problem by adding

define(`confTRUSTED_USERS', `majordomo')dnl

to sendmail.mc, but I'd like to understand how this works.

* When do I use submit.mc vs. sendmail.mc?
* Why did I get an error message? Is there something else that should have
  been added to submit.mc?

TIA

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ