Re: apt-rpm vs. ximian red-carpet

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:27:06PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> B) red-carpet is a Ximian product, and as of yet, Red Hat and Ximian don't
> play well together.  They share too many system level packages, and once you
> install Ximian, it becomes quite difficult to either remove it, or upgrade to

You can use red-carpet w/o using Ximian GNOME.

> C) apt-rpm can be used to install _anything_, as long as somebody sets up a
> repository.  They can even set one up that claims to be Ximian packages, but
> all the packages could be trojaned, and you would never know until you tried
> to run it.

This is just a frontend for rpm and uses GPG signed packages just the same.  So,
you don't have to worry about trojans.  It's also fairly easy to setup your own
repository w/ Red Hat RPMS as well as 3rd party RPMS.  This is the option I
chose for a small number of servers and desktops at our office.

> D) whats wrong with up2date?  It's provided by Red Hat, supported by Red Hat,
> and about the best tool to keep your Red Hat system up to date.

I found the up2date Web interface annoying.  The features I needed were
prohibitively expensive (support for non-Red Hat RPMS).  The server isn't open
source.  apt-rpm just uses any webserver.  Didn't need many of the "features"
provided by up2date.  Granted, it seems that it is targeted at larger
organizations or that lone home desktop system.  Maybe a small handful of
systems isn't the target customer.  Or maybe I just don't understand everything
w/ up2date properly.

The other thing about apt-rpm was that it seems to be making a small move to
becoming a defacto standard package tool.  Conectiva, Yellowdog and, of course,
Debian use it by default.  There also isn't anything stopping other distros from
supporting it as well since ALL pieces are Free Software.  I would be extremely
surprised if Red Hat every shipped it.  Granted, they could still have the same
website for managing the repository and using apt as the client side.

There are also more groups starting to put up 3rd party repositories.
Gstreamer, jpackage (java packages), freshrpms.net.

I've rambled enough.

jason

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein