Re: apt-rpm vs. ximian red-carpet

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 12:19, Michal Drozd wrote:
> I'am looking for some guidelines, which of package maganament
> tools/services to use.
>
> somewhere (in webpage about apt-rpm) i found info, that it can't be used
> with red-carpet.
>
> which tool is more populated ?
> where i'll able to find more stable versions of packages ?
>
> i'am redhat user for 4 days (earlier i used debian), so apt-rpm is
> looking more interesting for me.
> on the other hand, with ximian red-carpet i can get evolution 1.2 and in
> the future propably ximian gnome 2.0 .
>
> maybe ximian packages are avaiable thru apt-rpm ???

A) all you have mentioned are 3'rd party programs, which are not supported by
Red Hat.

B) red-carpet is a Ximian product, and as of yet, Red Hat and Ximian don't
play well together.  They share too many system level packages, and once you
install Ximian, it becomes quite difficult to either remove it, or upgrade to
another version of Red Hat (which requires the removal of Ximian packages).

C) apt-rpm can be used to install _anything_, as long as somebody sets up a
repository.  They can even set one up that claims to be Ximian packages, but
all the packages could be trojaned, and you would never know until you tried
to run it.

D) whats wrong with up2date?  It's provided by Red Hat, supported by Red Hat,
and about the best tool to keep your Red Hat system up to date.  If you
_must_ have 3'rd party packages, which a lot of us do, then you should
evaluate the balance between security/stability and ease of install.
Personally, I don't feel comfortable with automating the installation of 3'rd
party packages, so I have no need for any of the above mentioned 3'rd party
tools.  You may wish to hold a different balance, feel free to do so, just
understand the consequences.

--
Jesse Keating
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: