Re: Red Hat 8.0 connecting to the internet through Road Runner (cable)

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:09:17PM -0500, Joshua Melbourne White wrote:
> I am sending this for my little brother who just installed RH 8.0 and I
> couldn't help him:
>
> The problem is that the hostname is the server it looks to for DHCP. RR
> has many servers it uses, so if I by chance reach the server I've named
> it to under he hosts file on a boot, it will work. However, the next day
> it might be get different server, so it screws everything back up. How
> do I make it not care which server it uses?

OK, the message is a bit cryptic, but is the problem that RR serves up
really wonked out hostnames (which relate to the IP address given via DHCP)
and then X sometimes won't work, as it can't perform a reverse lookup?

If that's the case, then what you will want to do is edit
/etc/sysconfig/network and enter the hostname you wish to assign to the
system . . . so, you'll end up with something like this:

[root@router root]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=<insert hostname here>
GATEWAY=192.168.0.254

Then you will want to edit /etc/hosts and enter that hostname as mapping to
loopback, like this:

[root@router root]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1          <insert hostname here> localhost.localdomain localhost

After making those two changes, your address changing will no longer
matter, as the machine will always be able to perform a reverse lookup on
itself.

- jkt

--
Jay Turner, QA Manager          jkt@redhat.com               Red Hat, Inc.

      No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right;
      a single experiment can prove me wrong.   -- Albert Einstein