RE: Walk thru for cups

>Message: 10 To: psyche-list@redhat.com
> Subject: Re: Walk thru for cups
>From: Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net>
> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:52:15 >-0800

<snip>

>The switch part isn't a problem. Its the actual cups setup that has
>been failing. There are little or no suggestions for what to put in
>the input boxes. Apparently it was felt users would patiently setup
>each and ever possibility until something works.

Harry. I hope I can help you. After you switch from LPRng to CUPS, then you need to stop lpd and start cupsd

I'm looking in the excellent book, "Red Hat Linux 7.3 Bible" (the new version for Psyche is enroute from Miami to Colombia tonight).

(1) Put this URL in your web browser: http://localhost:631/admin
give root as your login name and the root password

(2) click Add Printer button. (3) Provide name of printer, location, description and "Continue"

(3) Select the port your printer is on (probably Parallel Port 1 or Serial Port 1)

(4) Select the manufacturer, model, print a test page.

In the case of our HP LaserJet 6L, there were several Driver options to choose from. The first one (?) I selected printed a beautiful test page.

HTH, Lanny