Sayonara (Was - Re: Dist. Suggestions)

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, David Durst wrote:

>> A full install does not install every single RPM package.  There
>> is a reason for that.
>
>Sounds like you are clueless for what I am asking.
>And you never stated Binary ONLY modules, I believe you said
>binary modules (Which really doesn't make sense but I read into it
>to make it make sense)

Don't mince words.  Binary only modules are binary only modules.
It is stupid to think that Red Hat would ship binary modules and
not ship the source code, or that Red Hat would ship binary
modules that someone else compiled if source was available.

There was no lack of clarity in what I said.

>>>Or maybe I am getting it wrong here, lemme look at it the other
>>>way. You don't want to support the project of a module? If so
>>>then why dist software at all?
>>
>> Red Hat got where it is today by following a set of principles
>> and values that have made it one of the largest and most used
>> Linux distributions.  Why distribute it all?  Simple, because it
>> is popular, and gaining more popularity daily - without including
>> binary only modules.
>
>You are still misunderstanding what I am stating, your point was
>"We can't fix it". The counter point to that is UMMMM you guys
>have a habit of shipping broken software.  So FIXING software
>for you guys is sometimes a DEAD DUCK point.

Bullshit.  That is just a pure insult.  It isn't even worth
reading any further messages that you write.  Welcome to my
killfile after this message.

>> Absolutely and completely totally _NO_.  Switch to another
>> distribution that ships it if you must.
>>

>Hmmmm, this is a great stand to take.
>Our customers want their computers to work, HA! corporate users want
>their wireless NICS to work.  What are you gonna say.
>Let me quote you correctly: "Absolutely and completely totally _NO_.
>Switch to another distribution that ships it if you must."

Precicely.  You have that option, and are free to exercise it.

>I thank god that you are not the CEO of RH, because if you were
>and or if the CEO does shares your same opinions about overall
>SOFTWARE SUPPORT & DIST., RH is bound to fail.  That is when you
>tell the market, screw you we will not PUT ON a seperate CD
>drivers thar are not GPL (And look into it before you open your
>mouth, the drivers I am speaking of are OPEN SOURCE just not GPL
>- http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/)

Open source drivers are a different story.  In one breath you are
demanding we ship proprietary drivers, and in another one you are
claiming that they are open source.  Considering that, and
considering your above statements differentiating "binary
module" and "binary only module" (which are identical in the
context of the discussion), I don't think you even understand the
difference.

>> This discussion reminds me of getting a root canal, and I've
>> never gotten one.
>
>You remind me of every other SIMPSONS COMIC BOOK STORE LOOKING GUY
>that holds linux back.

You remind me of that one random annoying person on our mailing
lists each release, that makes me sick enough to not want to help
people on our lists any more, as I'm not paid to do so, and I no
longer enjoy the experience.

So on that note, I bid the mailing list goodbye.  I don't need to
waste my time reading and responding to this mindless drivel.

Feel free to fight amongst yourselves.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer