Re: Video Card recommendation

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Markku Kolkka wrote:

>Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 02:04:30 +0200
>From: Markku Kolkka <markku.kolkka@koti.soon.fi>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Video Card recommendation
>
>Viestissä Keskiviikko 20. Marraskuuta 2002 13:12, Mike A. Harris kirjoitti:
>> Again, "Built by ATI" are the only cards tested, officially
>> supported, and likely to work without trouble.
>
>So Red Hat is only officially supporting North American customers and the rest
>of the world (who can only buy "powered by ATI" cards) is left stranded?

No, you totally completely did not understand what I am saying.

Red Hat does not own the XFree86 project.  XFree86.org is its own
organization, and its own project, and the work done by
XFree86.org developing XFree86 is made publically available under
the MIT license (similar to the BSD license) for anyone to use.

Red Hat, like all other distributions, ships XFree86 with our
Linux distribution.  If XFree86 source code does not contain any
support at all for a given video card, then that video card is
_unsupported_ period, both at the XFree86 level, and also at the
Red Hat level.  You can try every Linux distribution available on
the Internet, and you get *no working video* period.

The ATI video drivers are developed and maintained by several
people including but not limited to ATI, Marc Aurele La France,
Kevin Martin, Keith Whitwell, and various other contributors,
bugfix contributors, etc.

Pretty much *ALL* of the developers working on the ATI drivers,
are using real "Built by ATI" hardware.  That means that "Built
by ATI" hardware is the most tested hardware, and is the hardware
developers have when bugs get reported.