Re: PHP classes for PDF

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 19:25, brooks@kelley.net wrote:
> I noticed Keith Winston's reference to classes for PDF
> using PHP to drive PDF documents in a recent posting.
>
> I was curious if he or anyone would expond further on
> what the classes are that he is using.

Here is a copy of the comment I posted at php.net in the documentation
under the PDF functions:

One of the big problems I faced as I converted legacy MS Access
applications to web based apps in PHP was how to handle reports.  HTML
can only take you so far and doesn't handle formatted reporting at all,
plus printing is inconsistent among browsers.  So, generating PDFs
becomes very important to replace reports that must be highly formatted.

I spent about half a day setting up and testing PDFlib and while it
worked great, I had reservations about maintenance.  Since my apps are
not commercial, I wanted to use the free aladdin license, which requires
compiling and linking PDFlib to PHP.  From what I read, the DSO version
only comes with the paid commercial license.  So, when my distro vendor
releases a patch for PHP, I would have to recompile it and link in
PDFlib every time.  A major pain.  Plus, I use several distros and the
procedure is slightly different with each one.

After much searching here and on google, I found several other
solutions, some free, some not.  But the one I am using at the moment is
done completely with PHP code (no modules, no compiling, no linking).
It is free and easy to set up and use.  It is called EZPDF and can be
found here:

http://ros.co.nz/pdf/

and here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdf-php/

Since it is all done in PHP, it is slower than PDFlib, so if you have
strict performance requirements, it might not be the best, but it has
many features and everything I need.

> I really like RH8.0, but if I need to, I guess I could
> scripts which has recently become a need.

The classes are not distro or version dependent.  It's all done in PHP4
code.  I've tested it on RH8.0 and SuSE 8.0.  Works great so far.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+