Re: Dist. Suggestions

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, David Durst wrote:

>I recently upgraded from RH 7.3 to 8.0 and at first I loved it, the I
>realized that it kind of sucked.
>
>Let me explain and I will get to my suggestions about the way RHs Next
>major released should be.
>
>1st. Lack of REAL Software (OpenLDAP)

Perhaps you did not get a copy of the official Red Hat Linux 8.0
then.  Red Hat Linux 8.0 does come with openldap.

[root@devel /]# cat /etc/redhat-release ; rpm -q openldap
Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)
openldap-2.0.25-1

>2nd. Lack of Wireless LAN Drivers (PRISM2)
>
>Ok now I know everyone is gonna jump on this and say that OpenLDAP (I
>don't think its GPL) and PRISM2 Drivers are not GPL.

[root@devel /]# rpm -qi openldap | grep License
Size        : 1215211                          License: OpenLDAP

>Well that is where my suggestion comes in, in 7.3 Staroffice a
>NON-GPL software came w/ the dist. on a seperate CD.

The distribution itself is comprised of open source CD images.
The boxed products come with some extra CDs which are NOT part of
Red Hat Linux, but which are bundled in with the OS inside the
box.  StarOffice being one of those items in the past.

>Does anyone support the IDEA of dist. NON-GPL software on a
>seperate CD???

The boxed set already comes with exactly that.

>I think it would make alot of people much happier if they didn't
>have to go reading through mailing lists to find out how to get
>a Netgear wireless NIC to work under 8.0.

Red Hat does not support binary kernel modules.

>Along w/ that is there is a serious need for a Directory Service
>so it is just a thought.

Such as the openldap directory service that is included with Red
Hat Linux 8.0 perhaps?

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer