RE: internet connection

>Message: 6
>From: "Eric Potvin" <eric.potvin@thursday.qc.ca>
>To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: internet connection
>Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:00:12 -0500

>I use a Linksys Router to connect to the internet. The router is the >DHCP for it's little network. The DHCP works because I see the Linux >box eth0 card's MAC address in the router DHCP table. And the Linux box >has the ip assigned to it. All seems good there.

Eric:

We have a Linksys BEFSR41 Router/Switch connected to our external Cable Modem. We have 4 boxes (3 dual boot Win / Psyche and 1 Psyche box) connected to it. When I installed Psyche on them, as with previous versions of Red Hat Linux, I selected use DHCP or something like that, to set up the networking and to start the NIC when booting. After the first boot, they were all up on our LAN and we could surf the web, immediately.

>Using the terminal window I can ping the router and the other Windows >box on the network. I am unable to ping addresses outside this network, >can't ping to the internet(either ip or www address)

I just tried the "ping" command on this Psyche box, to ping both of our web sites (on Apache servers in the USA), via their URL's. The DNS server at our local ISP resolved their IP addresses and the ping command worked, without any problem.

>What settings should I check to solve this problem??

I'd run the Red Hat Network Configuration Tool ("Neat" ?) and look at all of the settings. Use the automatic settings to get DHCP, etc. Also, use the web based configuration for your Linksys unit and look at the settings there. Be sure it is set to serve DHCP to the number of boxes you have connected to it. Also, check the settings for your web browser!

Also, I suggest that you configure your Linksys unit to use the MAC address of the NIC your ISP connected to, when they installed your Broadband service. The *first* thing our ISP did when they came out here was to call their office with the MAC address of that NIC. Then, we had a problem getting that NIC (a Netgear FA311) to work and I replaced it with a Netgear FA310TX. I remember they then called their office, with the MAC of the replacement NIC.

For security reasons, I have our Linksys unit configured not to respond to "pings" to the IP our cable modem ISP assigns to us.

>When I was using 7.3, it connected easily, never had anything to do, >does 8.0 do something different??

I think it is the same and that you have a setting misconfigured, either in your Linux box or in your Linksys unit or in your web browser. This is something we have never had a problem with, so far.

I wish I had the exact answer for your problem, but I want you to know this should not be a problem and is fixable. GL,

Lanny in Cali, Colmbia, South America