RE: "Modem display" for my internet connection

I suppose that you connect to internet with dial-up modem. If this is the
case try the following (in Gnome):

1. Right click on the panel, from the menu select Add to
Panel/Internet/Modem Lights.
Modem lights applet will appear on the panel.
2. Right click on the applet, select properties.
3. In the "General tab", change ifup and ifdown to /sbin/ifup and
/sbin/ifdown.
4. In the advanced tab change name of the lock file to correspond the serial
port you use (not sure if you really need this).

Pavel.