Re: Problem with kernel ugrade & nVidia drivers

"Neal D. Becker" wrote:

>     Rinaldi> Jesse Keating wrote:
>     >>
>     >> On 19 Nov 2002 07:14:13 -0500
>     >> nbecker@hns.com (Neal D. Becker) wrote:
>     >>
>     >> #
>     >> # Which is, BTW, stupid.
>     >>
>     >> Hey, don't look at me (;    Bitch at Nvidia for poorly written install
>     >> scripts.
>
>     Rinaldi> Could you elaborate on where the scripts need improvement?
>
> You need to be able to specify which kernel to build against.  It is
> very inconvenient that it only uses the running kernel.  That means
> every time you upgrade the kernel, you'd better remember to reboot
> into text mode, then rebuild the nvidia kernel rpm, then start X.
> Most novices are not going to figure this out.

Ok.  I see where you're coming from.

The problem lies in your dependance on rpm to do things for you that the good
folks at NVidia could (did) not anticipate.

What you're asking is specifically available to those who use the source
tarballs.  I quote from the README:

"If you want to build NVdriver for a system other than the compiling
    system, then you'll need to run the make as:

        $ make SYSINCLUDE=/src/kern/my-smp-kernel/include

    to generate an NVdriver that will work on the kernel whose include
    files are in /src/kern/my-smp-kernel/include.  This kernel must
    have been completely configured (make menuconfig dep)."

Not being that familiar with rpm, I would consider it a shortcoming if you
could not rebuild an existing rpm against another kernel source.

In practice, however, whenever I reboot a new kernel (I *always* boot to level
three so this is nothing different) I cd to the NVidia-kernel source
directory, make clean && make install and (sigh) reboot once again before
starting X.

And yes, novices are going to get confused regardless.  But there are ample
Doc's and forums such as this to provide nudges in the right direction.

Rinaldi
--
By all means marry. If you get a good wife you will become happy,
and if you get a bad one you will become a philosopher. --Socrates