"Modem display" for my internet connection

I've installed 8.0 and am using Network Device Control for starting and shutting down my internet connection. What I'd like is one of those little displays (that could fit on my panel) that winks and blinks as data are being transferred. Also, it would show me at a glance whether I'm on-line or not.

I'd appreciate someone instructing me as to how to add such a gadget -- I'm not that experienced in Linux yet, so please be verbose.

Thanks very much,

Charlie