Japanese again

I hope that somebody may know the answer to this I asked a while ago...

I am sure that this has a simple answer, but I couldn't find one via Google.

I use Psyche in English, but have Japanese installed as an additional
language for my wife.

The problem is that I cannot see the filenames of any files that have
Japanese filenames.

I have three categories of files:
    Some on a CD, burnt from Windows
    Some on a SMB share
    Some on a FAT32 mounted partition

All of the files are displayed correctly from my WinXP Pro machine, but not
from Psyche.

Two things are working correctly
    Browsing Japanese web-site, eg www.asahi.co.jp displays correctly in
Japanese
    The UI changes to Japanese if I set the language

>From this second test it appears that a lot of work has gone into Psyche to
make it Japanese friendly, so I was very suprised that I had so much grief.

Any help would be thankfully received - I am sure it is me rather then a bug
:-)

Ian Wells