Re: Kernel Update Breaks Wireless Access

me thinks security issues is good reason ;-)
That said... up2date doesn't replace the kernel, so you can look what is
broken and try to repair it.
If you cannot fix it, kick your supplier in his *ss to provide a newer
version of the drivers... the only reason to update a kernel is
security, and thisis involved in this particular update.
If it isn't your security, it can be someone elses...

greetz
Hans
On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 16:09, Charles Johnson wrote:
> Hey, listen to your momma! *Never* (did I say *never*) *ever* (did I say *never* *ever*)
> update your kernel, or allow up2date to update your kernel, without a good reason,
> especially for binaries that are compiled against a particular kernel. This almost
> always (in my humble opinion and limited experience) breaks things. Up2date
> specifically allows you to *exclude* kernel updates from consideration. I recommend
> you try that option.
>
> Having said that, if you are booting from grub's graphical interface you should
> still be offered the opportunity to boot from your old kernel. Try that. If you
> were aggressive in removing all traces of the old kernel (editing the /etc/grub.conf
> file, removing the vmlinuz and map files and the like), then things get trickier.
> You can download the old kernel from RedHat and install that...assuming that you
> have another way to get to the net that your wireless card.
>
> If it makes you feel better, lots of other folk (me too) have learned this the hard
> way. Until you are pretty darned sure that you have the requisite drivers to support
> your devices in hand, it is best to delay kernel updates for a while.
>
> Cheers--
> Charles

> Momma said there'd be days like this...
>
> After struggling for two weeks to get my Netgear MA401 wireless PCMCIA
> card to work in RH 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-17.8.0), Up2Date upgraded my kernel
> to 2.4.18-18.8.0. Naturally, the wireless doesn't work with this kernel. I
> went to the prism2 site but it's a  little too early to expect them to
> have taken care of it. Whatever the problem is, it shows up at boot time
> when I get a low then high beep instead of two high beeps. Don't even know
> where to look for help with this. I'd appreciate whatever help anyone can
> offer.
>
> Thanks
>
> Randy.
>

> --