Re: Kernel Update Breaks Wireless Access

Hey, listen to your momma! *Never* (did I say *never*) *ever* (did I say *never* *ever*)
update your kernel, or allow up2date to update your kernel, without a good reason,
especially for binaries that are compiled against a particular kernel. This almost
always (in my humble opinion and limited experience) breaks things. Up2date
specifically allows you to *exclude* kernel updates from consideration. I recommend
you try that option.

Having said that, if you are booting from grub's graphical interface you should
still be offered the opportunity to boot from your old kernel. Try that. If you
were aggressive in removing all traces of the old kernel (editing the /etc/grub.conf
file, removing the vmlinuz and map files and the like), then things get trickier.
You can download the old kernel from RedHat and install that...assuming that you
have another way to get to the net that your wireless card.

If it makes you feel better, lots of other folk (me too) have learned this the hard
way. Until you are pretty darned sure that you have the requisite drivers to support
your devices in hand, it is best to delay kernel updates for a while.

Cheers--
Charles

>>> rchrismon@rcn.com Monday, November 18, 2002 6:54:30 PM >>>
Momma said there'd be days like this...

After struggling for two weeks to get my Netgear MA401 wireless PCMCIA
card to work in RH 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-17.8.0), Up2Date upgraded my kernel
to 2.4.18-18.8.0. Naturally, the wireless doesn't work with this kernel. I
went to the prism2 site but it's a  little too early to expect them to
have taken care of it. Whatever the problem is, it shows up at boot time
when I get a low then high beep instead of two high beeps. Don't even know
where to look for help with this. I'd appreciate whatever help anyone can
offer.

Thanks

Randy.