Re: FTP issues

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:54:11 -0600
"Steven P. Ulrick" <spu@faith4miracle.org> wrote:

> Hello, Everyone :)
> I'm sure I need to give you more information than I have to assist you
> in helping me with my problem, but I'll tell you what I do know (I
> know more now than I did before I went to work today :)), and then
> please feel free to tell me of any further information that you may
> need, and I'll do my best to answer :)
>
> Step 1: Open any of the two graphical FTP clients that I have
> installed on my machine (gFTP 2.0.13 or kbear 2.0beta2) and attempt to
> download any file.
>
> Step 2: When the file finishes, in either gFTP or kbear, the file is
> not saved to my machine, but in gFTP, the file finishes and it opens
> it up in a viewer if it's a text file, and if it's, let's say a RPM
> file, it will try to open it up in the viewer, but of course the
> viewer will remain blank.  In kbear, before the file even begins to
> download, it displays the "Open With" dialog instead of beginning the
> download (the behavior between the two applications looks different on
> the surface, but as you can see, it amounts to the same thing.)
>
> In both of the cases in Step 2, no file is downloaded, I only get to
> view, or attempt to view, the file when I run gFTP.  When I try kbear,
> I only get the "Open With" dialog.  By the way, I just tried to
> download a file in kbear, and after I chose, just to experiment, a
> text editor, to open the RPM (just to get the download to start), it
> said it was saving it it /tmp/kde-steve, and the file that was there
> (it was deleted by the program) was the exact size of the RPM I
> downloaded, and the file name ended this way: .rpm

I just successfully downloaded a file from updates.redhat.com in
Konqueror, I even stopped and resumed the download, and it worked fine.
When I tried Mozilla, and Netscape 7, I successfully downloaded files,
but they wouldn't let me stop and resume the transfer.  So the problem
still remains....

Steven P. Ulrick