FTP issues

Hello, Everyone :)
I'm sure I need to give you more information than I have to assist you
in helping me with my problem, but I'll tell you what I do know (I know
more now than I did before I went to work today :)), and then please
feel free to tell me of any further information that you may need, and
I'll do my best to answer :)

Step 1: Open any of the two graphical FTP clients that I have installed
on my machine (gFTP 2.0.13 or kbear 2.0beta2) and attempt to download
any file.

Step 2: When the file finishes, in either gFTP or kbear, the file is not
saved to my machine, but in gFTP, the file finishes and it opens it up
in a viewer if it's a text file, and if it's, let's say a RPM file, it
will try to open it up in the viewer, but of course the viewer will
remain blank.  In kbear, before the file even begins to download, it
displays the "Open With" dialog instead of beginning the download (the
behavior between the two applications looks different on the surface,
but as you can see, it amounts to the same thing.)

In both of the cases in Step 2, no file is downloaded, I only get to
view, or attempt to view, the file when I run gFTP.  When I try kbear, I
only get the "Open With" dialog.  By the way, I just tried to download a
file in kbear, and after I chose, just to experiment, a text editor, to
open the RPM (just to get the download to start), it said it was saving
it it /tmp/kde-steve, and the file that was there (it was deleted by the
program) was the exact size of the RPM I downloaded, and the file name
ended this way: .rpm

The only other evidence that I have is that the last file I downloaded
sucessfully was the BigMem version of the updated kernel.  I got it from
updates.redhat.com  I have installed it successfully, and have had no
other problems since then.  I did try rebooting using the old kernel,
but I still have the same problems explained above.  I have read, write
and execute priveledges in my home directory, and I made sure that I am
the owner of it.  I could find nothing obvious in the setting/options
menus in kbear or gFTP.

I am running Red Hat 8 with an AMD Duron 650mhz processor, approx. 383
megabytes of RAM.  I have all the official updates installed, and I
believe I got them all from updates.redhat.com  Like I said earlier, if
you need any more information, feel free to ask :)  I am willing to
learn, and I am sorry if this problem turns out to be a no-brainer (I
did all I reasonably could before I contacted you.)

Thanks for your help :)
Steven P. Ulrick