Re: hard drive recovery (was can't start kde)

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 02:10:08PM -0600, Justin Georgeson wrote:
> Anybody? Anything? I know I can backup personal files and reinstall, but
> that sucks. Isn't there anything else I can do?
>
> What, exactly, does the --force option of up2date do? I thought maybe I
> could just up2date --force <package> for each package that rpm -V
> <package> reports missing files for. But the up2date doesn't install do
> it because I already have it installed.

The --force option is used for things like the kernel that are typically
excluded.  What you could do is download the rpms but not install them
(with the --download option) and then use rpm --replacepkgs or rpm
--force.  The rpms should be download by up2date to /var/lib/rpm.

Depending on what files were lost, you may also want to consider
running rpm2cpio on the binary rpm to give you a cpio archive.  Then use
cpio to copy the individual files over.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA