Re: hard drive recovery (was can't start kde)

Anybody? Anything? I know I can backup personal files and reinstall, but that sucks. Isn't there anything else I can do?

What, exactly, does the --force option of up2date do? I thought maybe I could just up2date --force <package> for each package that rpm -V <package> reports missing files for. But the up2date doesn't install do it because I already have it installed.

Justin Georgeson wrote:

So a few nights ago, power went out and my machine came down hard. I had
to run fsck manually, and there is a lot of stuff in /lost+found. I'm
finding many things aren't working right, indeed there are many exe's
missing. How do I repair this? I thought the journaling in ext3 was
supposed to help with stuff like this.

--
; Justin Georgeson
; http://www.lopht.net