Re: custom built kernel fails to mount root fs

On 15 Nov 2002, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 16:49, Marko Asplund wrote:
>
> heres the first problem I see.  If you copy a config file fron configs/
> and then run xconfig, it will overwrite it :)  You either need to
> 1. copy the config file (and don't run any make config command) but
> continue with dep
> 2. don't copy the config file, but run 'make xconfig' and choose 'load
> configuration from file' as your first operation, then choose a file
> from configs/
> 3. copy a config from somewhere else (eg /boot/config<blah>) or an older
> version of your own config file and then run 'make oldconfig'
>
> This may have caused some problems if you thought some options should
> have been selected, but were overwritten...

i just rebuilt the kernel using the following procedure:

make mrproper
make xconfig # loaded configuration from file
make dep
make bzImage
make install
make modules
make modules_install

but the result is still the same and the kernel is unable to mount the
root filesystem.

> once you've tried the make again, see if you still get this problem.
> Short of posting your whole .config file, did you compile in scsi or
> compile the module?  (I think you said this in a previous post but I
> forgot :)

the root filesystem is on a Mylex AcceleRAID RAID array and the driver is
enabled in kernel config (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DAC960=y). LVM, ext2 and ext3 are
also enabled. all of these are statically built into the kernel.

> On a tangent, try entering 'e' when grub loads (I think its e for edit),
> and then manually edit the commands.  Delete a few characters of, say,
> 'kernel /vmlinuz-blah' until you're back to just 'kernel /vmlinuz' and
> then push tab a couple of times.  If it doesn't autocomplete or at least
> give you some options of autocompletion, then something more serious may
> be wrong...

i'm unable to do this because Grub can't do filename completion on the
RAID array disks. when i give the command 'root (hd0,1)' Grub complains:
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x82.

thanks,

best regards,
--
	aspa