Re: evolution 1.2 rpm for 8.0???

Brian K. Jones wrote:

> Installing evolution *did* cause red-carpet to grab and install some
> other stuff that evolution depended on.  However, it tells you EXACTLY
> what it's going to do before it does *ANYTHING*.  So I don't think
> anything would stop me from getting the needed rpm's myself somewhere.
> I don't think they *have* to be the ximian rpms - I think it's just
> easier for ximian to maintain their own library of rpms than to search
> the www for what it needs.  I could be wrong of course.

You aren't.  I know you are more than capable of taking care of problems
that *could* come up with Evolution dependencies.  The only reason I
pointed to Red Hat packaged evolution RPMs is for those of us who were
burned by Ximian GNOME in the past because of the conflicts that
occurred with up2date and Red Carpet.  Removing Ximian stuff isn't hard
to do, it just takes time and patience.  It took me a Sunday afternoon
to remove Ximian GNOME safely.  Also, if ones sticks with Red Hat
packaged goodies, it makes getting help with troubleshooting from these
lists a bit easier.

I support Ximian's efforts to provide the best products they can, and
that requires they provide all the software needed to make their
products work in the fashion they intend.  If list members are happy
with the Evolution 1.2 release that Red Carpet installed, great.
Personally, I would rather manage as much of my software as possible
through one mechanism, and I've chosen up2date/RHN to do that.

Tom